Worries on Avenida Wilson – Followed by a Trip to the Hospital!

Hey hey hey!

There has been so much going on in the last few days I could honestly write five blog posts. So this post is about two situations that gave Oriana and I some apprehension and situations where we quite frankly were pretty terrified. The first situation was our trip to Avenida Wilson, which is a funny story in itself explained shortly after this paragraph. If you are only here to read about the hospital visit, scroll down for the story!


Avenida Wilson

One of our first tasks living in Lima was to purchase phone plans so we could access the city more easily at ease by being able to use data, google maps, and calls if needed. We went to one of the local phone shops. Here are the popular ones; Entel, Bitel, Claro, and Movistar. We went with Bitel because it only costs around 5 soles for the new SD card, and then roughly 30 soles ($10)/month for unlimited data and just a huge load of minutes for texting and calls. Well! We put the chips in and we had issues with an error reading – “Invalid SD Card”. This simply translates to our next problem of  – we need our phones unlocked. This is funny, because Sprint supposedly unlocked both of our phones before traveling to Peru. Thanks for nothing Sprint! Sprint is not my favorite. ANYWAY, that is where Avenida Wilson comes in.

Avenida Wilson….Avenida translates to Avenue by the way! Avenida Wilson is one of many city centers in Lima. It is home to large cyber plazas, gaming centers, technical support, gaming laptops etc. I am thinking this will be fine and dandy and no problems, while Oriana is stressing out over me being a gringo and how safe it will be. She is constantly telling me to be less gringo, blend in, and be ugly and gross apparently (her words were a little different – She will read this later so I do not want to get yelled at too much, and this was in regards of me not trimming up my beard). So when Oriana worries about me going in the city where there are pretty much no gringos and that they are super deprived of gringos (haha deprived sounds funny to me – idk why), it kind of gets me worried too. Her cousin called us an Uber to get there (You the real MVP Uber!), and here I am thinking if we need an uber, is it too dangerous to take public transportation?! Oriana literally was stressing so much that I was like, can I even go to this place??? Well here is the funny thing.

Admiring a beautiful mansion near Avenida Wilson with mountains in the background

The Uber drives closer and closer to our destination, and there is more graffiti, more people, and overall just a different appearance to where we live. Oriana is getting more relaxed (I had no clue until later), and I grow a little more tense. We arrive, we get dropped off, and BOOM!!! That’s when it happened! Nothing actually. It was like another area of the city we have visited with the common stares from the locals, the shopkeepers, and the people passing by.  We actually made a few trips back there to unlock her phone which we we worried that we would get scammed due to some shady services taking over a few days. I actually need to go back there one more time to unlock my phone, but that is not the point of this silly story. The point is, Oriana freaked out over nothing (well safety, but we were totally fine), and I freaked out because she freaked out. I am always aware of my surrounding and keep a close eye and grip on my belongings. So if you are still reading this and have not skipped to the hospital visit, onward to the scary part!

El Hospital with Oriana

So! John, Oriana, Ehfrain and I went to a beautiful place south of Lima called Pucusana, which will be featured in my next post, because it is beautiful. Anyway! We spent a wonderful time there and we ate Ceviche (raw fish), Chupe con marisco (a type of soup with seafood), and other yummy foods. Sometimes people have problems eating these and we did not!…. Not until later…. So we had a huge platter (pictured below), and we asked if we could take the food for “para llevar” or taking it home in boxes. Fast forward to later when we are at home, Oriana and I heat up the chupe leftovers and eat some along with the leftover platter. We felt fine. We then proceed to go to sleep pretty early for us around 11pm. What happens next scared the **** out of me.

Ceviche, mariscos, other tasty foods – Basically a seafood platter

Oriana wakes me up at around 1am. Me being startled, was wondering if her cousin came home early as he was at a concert, but no. She informed me that she was having a difficult time breathing! I stood up immediately, turned the light on, and inspected her throat. I asked a ton of questions like, is it itchy? Does it hurt? Are you dizzy, etc. So I did not know exactly what to do. I do not have a car. We do not necessarily trust taxis at 1am, I do not know where the nearest hospital is, let alone what kind of service they have, and I heard the ambulances take forever to get there (might have been quicker at night since traffic was low), so I made a decision. Thinking it could be a potential severe alergic reaction, I told Oriana I wanted to give our friend John a call. Oriana did not want me to call our friend John and his roommate Jose. However, I knew they would be more than happy to help versus suffer the consequences if things went south. John and Jose came as soon as they could. They only live around 3 miles (5k) away. Jose is a doctor and is continuing his medicine practices, and he examined her in our apartment. He informed us we should go to the hospital. We got in John’s car and drove to Santa Rosa Hospital located in Pueblo Libre. Her breathing slightly worsened before it got better, but it improved slightly when taking an allergy pill (Gracias a Dios).

When we arrived, Jose did most of the talking. We checked in, showed our passports (I made sure to pack water, passports, money, and our phone chargers in case it was a long night) and anything else we might need. Another doctor examined her, gave her some papers, and sent her to the next step. She received some kind of medication through a smaller version of what looked like an IV, but clearly was not an IV, but I have no idea what, so I am going to call it a mini IV. MOVING ONWARD, she felt better before even receiving those, but we continued with the process. At this point John and Jose returned home because heroes need sleep, and they work hard, and they’re wonderful. So she then received an hour’s worth of oxygen and more medication through the oxygen mask. I sat with her until approximately 4am! We left the hospital and everything added up to about 52 soles for the services and medications. That is around 20 bucks! I just cannot believe how cheap it is here for the medical services. Thank you John and Jose for everything you guys do!

Having a great time together in Peru even in the Hospital!

We left the hospital, and Andres picked us up. We got a taxi home and we slept! Wow what a day. We went from having a marvelous day spent at Pucusana, to going to the hospital on two hours of sleep and freaking out. The conclusion was she was probably allergic to some kind of seafood in the soup, but we question why she did not get sick the first time she ate it, and then getting reactions the second time she ate it. Either way, it was a crazy day/night, and I am so thankful for the angels we have watching over us (Andres, John, Jose, and I am sure there will be more to come). Thank you to everyone from the bottom of our hearts!

Meet Gringo John! This is THE man! THE John. Thank you to you and Jose!

Come follow me with my next story on our beautiful and almost unreal experience in the fishing village of  Pucusana! Thanks for reading! Like always, if you have any comments, questions or suggestions, let me know!



This is Inca Cola and I am obsessed with it! Cheers!



Published by WorldWideChris

An adventurous soul who takes life by the horns, who isn't afraid to fail, and who learns from his failures. I studied Environmental Sciences at University of Wisconsin Oshkosh with a Spanish minor. I posses a burning passion for the Hispanic culture. The outdoors is where you will find me. If I am not outdoors, I am either writing, reading, running or studying something always pushing myself to learn. Connecting with others is something I enjoy very much through social and community engagement and life coaching. I want to be a part of something bigger than myself. Cheers!

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: